Her Majesty’s Revenue and Customs is a non-ministerial department of the UK Government responsible for the collection of taxes, the payment of some forms of state support and the administration of other regulatory regimes including the national minimum wage.

Should I register?

You should take independent, professional advice from a reputable firm of accountants.

Relevance in the workplace

As an example, anyone who wishes to be engaged as an associate teacher of or MLC Academy must provide a unique tax reference or UTR and certify that they are registered as self employed.